We are so happy to see everyone back at school and we look forward to a great year together. Our teachers have been working hard to prepare their rooms and to plan engaging and exciting curriculum. They look forward to developing relationships with the students in their classrooms (and with their parents of course!).
In order to ensure that everyone feels comfortable, safe, and happy at school, we will continue to follow health protocols and safety guidelines at Garden City. Here are a few reminders to help us start the school year in a safe manner, as outlined by our Provincial Health Officer.
Health and Safety Protocols
· Please do not come to school if you feel unwell
o Please remember to complete a family health declaration each morning
o If your child becomes unwell at school, we will be calling parents and expect children to be picked up immediately
· Parking lot will remain closed – please park on the side streets and walk in with your child
· Students will continue to line up outside in designated areas.
o For the first few days, students will line up where they did with their class last year
· Masks must be worn by all staff, students in grades 4-7, and visitors
o We encourage our youngest students (k-3) to wear masks as well.
· Hand hygiene will be continued at numerous times throughout the day
· We will be practicing safe distancing and minimizing crowding in our facilities
· No adults in the school for now, unless you have made an appointment with a staff member.
o If you have an appointment, you will need to do a formal sign in at the office.
· Please send your child with all necessary food (lunch, snacks) and appropriate clothing as there be no lunch drop-offs available.
· These protocols my change as we receive new guidelines from our district and from our Provincial Health Authority
Important Calendar Update
· Thursday, September 30 is now a statutory holiday to observe “National Truth and Reconciliation Day.”
o This day is intended to be a time to commemorate the history and legacy of residential schools, and is a vital component of the reconciliation process.
o School will not be in session. Please mark your calendar.
Schedule for the First Week
Tuesday, September 7th, 2021
8:45-9:45 am Primary and Intermediate students attend
· All students line up outside to go back to their last year’s classes (Ms. Mora’s class to line up at Door 11). Their teachers will bring them in.
· New students will line up at basketball hoop near the garden beds (there will be a sign). They will be brought to the library.
1:00-1:45 pm New Kindergarten students attend
· Students and parents meet outside door 11
· Parents stay outside to visit and review items with Ms. Schulz and Ms. Norman while students go inside to their classrooms with their teachers
Students in Grades 1-7 are in attendance all day; dismiss at 2:45 pm
· Students return to last year’s classes
· Students who were in Mrs. Samra’s and Ms. Zhou’s class will be in the library with Ms. Soochan and Ms. Dineen
· Students who were in Mrs. Williams class will go to Portable 2 with Ms Dinh
· New students go to the classroom they were shown on Tuesday or if unsure, go to the office and someone will direct them where to go
Kindergarten students attend according to their gradual entry schedule.
*** We hope to have students in their actual classrooms by Friday morning but there is a possibility that this may NOT happen. We thank you for your patience as we sort through this important process.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Schulz or Ms. Norman. We are looking forward to welcoming you back for a wonderful school year.
Ms. Schulz and Ms. Norman
Principal and Vice Principal